Our Value to God = PRICELESS!

Our Value to God = PRICELESS!
"Allow God to place His own values." - A.W. Tozer

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Finding the Joy

Tonight while watching the heart-warming film, “The Bucket List,” I was inspired by the attitude of Carter, one of the main characters. On one of their many excursions, Carter was talking with Edward about life after death. He was explaining the ancient Egyptian belief that when our souls get the entrance of Heaven, God asks us two questions to determine whether we may enter:

1-Have you found joy in your life?
2-Has your life brought joy to others?

Although I do not believe this Egyptian belief about the two questions, I was really inspired Carter’s attitude on this, because throughout the entire movie he was so focused on others and helping others find the joy in their lives. It really challenged me to ask myself these questions, but mainly the second one (not so much the first, because I have found joy in the Lord.) I think of the people who have touched my life and how much they have made an impact in my life for the better. It is very encouraging for me, because it makes me want to be that light for Christ in others’ lives.

Nehemiah 8:10 - "’… Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.'"

It also makes me think of how I wrote about being set apart in a devotional a couple days ago. When we are set apart for Christ and allowing His light to shine through us, we are able to affect the lives of those around us. However, when we get so caught up in our own lives or distracted by worldly things, we are letting opportunities to bring joy in others lives slip through our fingers. Let us not get so caught up in our own lives that we forget to help and love on those around us.

Matthew 5:14-16 - 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven.”

I challenge us today to reach out to our loved ones and even those we don’t know. Give them our undivided attention, time, and unconditional love. Determine to not let divine moments pass us by! If you’re looking for a suggestion on how to put this into action, you could try calling one person a day and seeing how their week is going and ask them how you can be praying for them. I’ve been attempting to do this as well, so please don’t think I’m suggesting you do something I won’t try myself. :)

May our hearts be open to love others and bring light into their lives by the way we live.

Blessings always!
<3 Shannon

“You Are My Joy” – David Crowder Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJ66RMswMk

No comments: