Our Value to God = PRICELESS!

Our Value to God = PRICELESS!
"Allow God to place His own values." - A.W. Tozer

Monday, February 1, 2010

From The Inside Out

Last Thursday my friend and I did yoga. She messaged me the next day and we both commented on how sore we were. She then suggested that I do a devotional on how we need strength not only on the outside, to keep our bodies healthy for God, but also to keep us strong on the inside. I thought it was a great idea so that’s the theme for today! :)

In regards to physical strength…
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – “19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

As God’s followers, we are to exercise and eat right so that we may be healthy on the inside and outside. Furthermore, when we are physically healthy, we are able to serve Him best. Romans 12:1 says that we are to present out bodies to God as “a living sacrifice.” By remaining in good health, we present ourselves as more capable instruments to be used by Him.

In addition, by submitting our bodies to God’s Word, we demonstrate that the Christian faith is holistic (meaning that there is no part of our lives to which it does not relate). By showing that we value physical health, we stand in agreement that the Lord wants His people to devote all of their being to Him (Deuteronomy 6:5). We must remember that we are not serving ourselves, but rather our Heavenly Father.

Personally, I know I have much work to do in this area (for instance, exercising more regularly and eating a bit healthier). I’m guessing this concept was #1 on many people’s New Year’s Resolutions this year. It is easy to forget that our bodies are not our own, but the Lord’s treasures. He has given them to us as a gift.

Now I ask us… What is the best way to express gratitude for a gift?...
Make the most of the gift!

Now for inner strength…
A few devotionals ago we discussed this so I will just remind you of the main theme – We need strength beyond ourselves in order to live for the Lord, as we are called to do. We cannot do it on our own.
Psalm 37:39 – “The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; He is their stronghold in time of trouble.”

Psalm 18:2 – “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
Faith in, and obedience to God, leads to physical, mental, and spiritual health.

So let us be encouraged to start getting healthier (with our mind, body, and spirit). As a result, we will be strong for the Lord – on the inside AND out! :)

God bless!
<3 Shannon
“From The Inside Out” by Hillsong United
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-afZJ9_TIM

Other Bible references for today’s message:
1 Timothy 4:7-8 – “...train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

Proverbs 3:5-8 – “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.”

No comments: